Ever noticed how different managers have different managing style?
Apparently there are just a handful of management styles and you better learn how to deal with each. Fear not, my fellow human, I come to your rescue.
Autocratic management style
- Makes decisions without much regard of your opinion
- You might end up depending on them for supervision
- They are control freaks
- They like to yell decisions
- They look smashing wearing latex, leather boots and they walk around in Hitler style
- You better learn German. Jawohl!
- If you`re not in the army, you don`t have to put up with this shit. Go speak with a supervisor.
- If it`s red and gives you the death look, walk away now.
Paternalistic management style
- The manager encourages feedback
- The manager takes decision while thinking of both the employee and company
- Emphasis on social needs
- Who`s your daddy?
- Warning, zone of hugs and talking about your feelings
Democratic management style
- Uses fancy words like “empowerment” and “leveraged synergy”
- Will involve you in all decisions that concern/affect/need your expertise.
- Management style that improves job satisfaction.
- Slow decision making process.
- This is the “I don`t have a clue about what we should do, so let me hear your ideas”.
- These are the friendly people.
- Prepare to men up and take responsibility for your decisions and actions.
- Guess what?! Someone actually cares about what you think ! AWESOM-O!
Laissez-faire management style
- Not much of a leader
- Little communication and control of the employee
- Best for creative groups
- Might be that your manager sucks. Might be that you`re a hard to control beast and your manager gave up trying. Down boy!
- You might end up not knowing what your next tasks are. Go and offer to help the new hottie.
- Lots and lots and lots of freedom.
Management by walking around(MBWA)
- Good for managers who are active listeners
- They get an idea of the level of moral/feedback in the organization
- They get and provide unfiltered and in real-time information
- Most of them are like a team coach
- They leave most of the decision-making responsibilities with the employees
- These are the people who want to lose some weight and think walking around helps.
- They tell you when you suck without further ado
- They usually walk around like the Pink Panther, and always catch you when you`re browsing pOrn
Now, I`m new at this, but I can`t decide which one to choose, so I decided to try a mixture of these management styles.
MBC (Management by cookies)
- This manager brings cookies to work
- Smiles a lot
- Asks a lot of questions
- Will get you addicted to sugar
- You`ll get no cookies if you screw up and she`ll savor one in front of your drooling face
- You don`t work for me, you work with me.
- As long as you`re an employee of the same company, I will give you the same amount of respect as any other employee (no matter if you`re a temp, outsourced consultant or CEO)
- I will listen to your complains
- I`ll try to pick up signals when you`re too tired or overworked and I`ll help out
- Your job is always interesting to me, so I want to know how things work
- If you did something good, it`s your merit. If you did something wrong, it`s my fault for not giving enough guidance
- If something went wrong, I`ll focus on ways to avoid it in the future, not on who did it
FINAL NOTE : most managers change the management styles depending on the moon cycle and their life partner`s mood.